Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Finishing Up...

Today, I moved home from Harvard. I know I've said this a million times by now, but I can't believe how fast these 8 weeks have gone!

In the lab, I did minor things around the lab, and ran into last minute obstacles that kept me from finding any quantitative results on the Hippo project. However, Dirk is going to continue the project, and he promises to keep me updated. I also had a chance to see another surgery performed by Dr. Thayer. The surgery was supposed to be a normal hernia case where the small intestine slipped through a woman's muscle. However, it turned out it was her fallopian tube that had slipped through the muscle. This basically meant that the woman was at high risk for ectopic pregnancy because the fallopian tube was so damaged. Luckily, the patient decided she was already finished having children (she already had two healthy boys). I was really sad to leave Mass. General, but I left knowing I learned a lot... even more than I expected.

I spent my last few days at Harvard enjoying myself, and finding some time to study for my psych. final. I think the final went well, but what was also of high importance to me was enjoying my last few days at Harvard with my SSP friends. They're some people I will never forget, and I know we will always keep in touch. I will definitely miss Greenough Hall, and all of my other friends from outside the dorm as well.

Many thanks to Brooks, Mass. General, Dr. Dunn, Dr. Thayer, Dirk, everyone else in the lab, Harvard SSP, and Mr. Palm. This was an incredible summer, and it couldn't have happened without you all. I had fun, learned a TON about science and even more about myself, and had an overall amazing experience. 

Good luck to all of the future SFS-ers!

-Mike

No comments: